Friday, September 29, 2006

A Busy Week


Tuesday we picked Mum up from the airport. Qantas managed to send one of her bags to Cairns so we had to arrange to have it couriered back to my place. It was meant to arrive the same evening but this stretched into the next afternoon before they delivered it. We spent the afternoon shopping at a few local shopping centres. Whilst we were in Telstra, Telstra rang me to say my phone contract was about to expire and told me I could upgrade my mobile. I got a hot little pink number that even takes photos. woo hoo.

Wednesday we spent vegging out at home. I spent half the day writing up an article for Scrapbook Creations and packing everything up to send up to Sydney.

Thursday we headed into Blackwood to visit the Garden Of St Erth. The spring festival was on so the gardens looked stunning. Here are a few pictures of the four of us at the garden. Mum shouted us lunch at a local pub. Great food and a lovely warm day sitting outside eating our yummy food.

Friday is here already. We spent the day in Ballarat shopping and visiting the Oncology and Radiotherapy rooms. I am still having trouble with my veins so the nurse thinks after my next chemo session on Tuesday they will put a port in on the morning of my next session. They can't do this earlier due to my low immunity in between doses. Not looking forward to the next session but at the same time I can't wait to have it as I will be half way through.

I met the radiotherapist today. Such a lovely doctor. He explained everything to me including the risks associated with radiation. Listed below is what he told me

Late Side Effects:

Lung scarring

Heart Injury

Rib Fracture

all of these are less than 1%. A lot better than a few years ago.

Second Cancers:

0.2% within 20 years of developing Sarcomas.

If I wasn't to have the radiotherapy I would have a 20 to 25% chance of my cancer regrowing due to it being quite a rare and agressive one. If I have the radiotherapy I have less than 2% of my cancer regrowing.

Guess which road I am taking. Oh and he also said I have to have it for six weeks instead of five now to really hit it on the head. If my chemo's all stay on track I will begin radiation on the 5th January. Not the most exciting summer holidays for the kids but there isn't much I can do. The doctor said he hasn't seen this type of cancer in someone my age before and they are convinced due to my path results that it is a genetic cancer.

Dad, Donna and Dylan are currently hanging out at Denniliquin Ute Muster. Dad rang this morning to say that they had 8600 utes through the gates by 6 o'clock this morning. These are only the people who preordered tickets. I have hated missing it this year. Especially the music.

Looking forward to Sunday as they are coming down for a few days. They will be tired and dirty and looking forward to a shower.




6 comments:

Rainy Nights said...

Dawn I know it might not be the most fun summer holiday your girls ever spend BUT I am sure that the year their mother BEAT cancer will be the BEST one ever....because having you there for them is worth a whole lot more than one holiday girl!

Anonymous said...

you are looking good keep fighting we all think of you lots of love linda family

Anonymous said...

hi dawn you look great among the daffodils if you stay there to long some one might come along and pick you, cos you look radiant love from all of us uncle pete auntie rose xxc

Anonymous said...

daffodils are beautifull so is the extra one that is growing in the middle

Trish said...

Great pics dawn I love your hat !!!!

Anonymous said...

Dawn looks great in the daffodils.
She looks good in the hat, my friend gave me a few nice hats for Dawn, and that was the one she liked most, but my friend wants that one back, she passes it around to other cancer friends.