Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Countdown Has Begun

My friend Lynita sent me this quote last night. Lynita knows exactly what I am going through as she has taken this journey herself and is a breast cancer survivor.

This quote is so true. The kindness people have shown me has been overwhelming. The gifts, money and practical help have been wonderful.

Cancer really brings out the best in the people around you and makes you view life so differently. I feel I have been given a second chance at appreciating my life even more so than I did before.

As the quote says 'If it wasn't for the downside" cancer would be something everyone would want, and it is so true.If only we could be this nice to our family and friends all the time.

"Cancer changes your life, often for the better. You learn what's important, you learn to prioritize, and you learn not to waste your time. You tell people you love them. My friend Gilda Radner (who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 at age 42) used to say, 'If it wasn't for the downside, having cancer would be the best thing and everyone would want it.' That's true. If it wasn't for the downside."

I also want to thank everyone for leaving comments on my blog. You have no idea how much they mean to me. I have printed them all out and added them into my journal so that when I am having moments when I feel down (and I am sure they will come sooner or later) I can read them and remember I have people that care and that are thinking of me all over the world.

I would love to respond to everyone personally but blogger doesn't let me see you email addy.

Oh and Jodene, how can I possibly forget you. I haven't heard from you or seen you around for so long. It was great to hear from you.

So tomorrow morning my journey will continue on this new path. I can't wait to get it over and done with. Jason has taken the girls over to his Mum's to stay the night and should be back soon. Planning a quiet night watching a dvd.

We have to be at the hospital by 7 in the morning. I am not allowed to eat or drink from midnight (ahhh I am going to be starving). My operation is after lunch and I am second on the list. The op will take about two hours and I will be in hospital a few days if all goes well.

Wish me luck and not too much pain.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

best of luck darl,will be thinking of you.....hugs
jody
xx

Robyn W said...

Dawn, i dont know you, just of you, and have been thinking of you over the last few weeks, and just wanted to wish you well,
Robyn W

Rainy Nights said...

Dawn, I hope it all goes well for you tomorrow. take care, will be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow, I hope the operation goes better than you ever could hope, and that your recovery is as comfortable as it can be. Best wishes.

Jodene said...

I know it is a bit late now as you are already at the hospital, but I really wanted to tell you that I have been thinking of you and wish you the best of luck for your surgery today. I am also sending thoughts for your beautiful girls, who will need a lot of strength to watch their Mummy go through this.
xxxx
PS: It was great to know that you remember me :) sometimes it is so hard to keep up with everyone, since this hobby has grown so much since we first started huh! I may not keep in touch with everyone, but I do remember them all.

Ngaire said...

Dawn, I hope that today went well for you. Hopefully you arent in too much pain or discomfort and that you are comforted by the fact that lots of people are thinking of you at this time.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that today is over, have not slept very well for a few weeks.
Have texted Dawn, she is resting, but did not sleep very well last night, maybe tonight will be a better night.
Jason texted me before the opp, to say she had gone down to surgrey, and when she came back up he texted me again to say that she was laughing and joking and was doing well.
Thats my Dawn, cant keep her down, I hope to go down in a few weeks when she needs me, when she starts having the treatment.
Hopefully she will be up and running real soon.
Love and best wishes to my beautiful Daughter, and lovely son Jason, and my 2 beautful granddaughter, Kady and leah.
Love you all.
xx

Chris Millar said...

Hi Dawn, I know we don't know each other but I've seen your layouts in SC every month since I began scrapbooking 3 years ago and so feel in a sense that I do know you - iykwim. I stumbled across your blog through Rach A's blog and I'm so glad I did. Your story, your strength, your courage and your amazing ability to write down all of your feelings is truly touching and heart breaking at the same time.
I just read the comment from your mum and see that the op has all happened now. Thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery for you.
Chris Millar.

Anonymous said...

Dawn
I just wanted to let you know that you and your family have been in my thoughts. I hope all has gone well for you and the pain is minimal.
Hugs
Anna
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn
keepinga specail place for you in my thoughts and prayers.
Take Care my friend,

Linda

Anonymous said...

Dawn.......glad to hear the op went ok...take care girl!
Thinking of you at this time......

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I'm so glad the surgery is over. You're in my prayers my friend. You seem to be in high spirits and that's one of the most important parts of this battle you are going through. I'm thinking of you sweetie.

Love Lynn

To Dawn's mum...thanks for the update on Dawn and the family. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you all to watch your daughter going through this but she's a strong lady as you already know :) We all need our mum's and it's so great to hear you are there for her. Please give her a hug for me when you see her :)
You too (and your family) are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love Lynn

jilly said...

Dawn, we don't know eachother either but I have been following your story - thoughts are with you. Slowly, slowly and baby steps. You WILL get thru this!
xx Jilly

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»