Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Some Childhood Layouts

A quick few layouts today to add to my childhood album. This photos lists all the things I can see in this photo. Wouldn't mean much to most people but thought it would be fun to write down the journaling with a different approach.

Journaling reads:

-I see my two childhood friends, Madonna Blinco and Nikki Gessner. We spent hours swinging on the swing set, jumping on the trampoline and pushing our dolls in their prams around the neighbourhood.
-I see our old swing set in our garden
-I see a large silver shed in the background. This was the shed that Dad ran his own business (Southbrook Engineering) from for a few years. Tony and I helped Dad every holidays in the workshop and also went away to help him build safety cages and other items for Inghams Poultry and other places
-I see our neighbours, Lee and Tic James’ house where I spent many a happy time playing with their daughters, Shannan and Hayley and riding their Shetland ponies
-I see the red shed that housed the James’s ponies in at the back of their yard
-I see that I have had a bath and I am wearing my red baby doll pajamas. I wore these constantly as they were my favourites
-I see happy tanned smiling faces
-I see that is must have been another hot dry summer as the grass is all brown
-I see the large leafy tree that grew behind the old post office building and across the road from the shop run by the Huggins family

photo taken Iona, Southbrook, approx 1978


A layout about some of our neighbours when we lived in Kingsthorpe. FONT>
Journaling reads:

When we lived in Queens Street, Kingsthorpe we were lucky to have some wonderful neighbours. We were surrounded with lots of kids around our age group so there was always someone to play with. Behind our house lived the Chamberlins, to the left lived Feichtners, to the right (and over the road) lived Johnson’s and a few streets away lived the Drew’s, Shane Morris, the Smiths (who ran the local shop for a bit) and the Simon’s family who lived down the dirt road towards Gowrie Junction. Tony, Donna and I spent many sunny afternoons playing with Tanya, Nadine and Sharelle Chamberlin. We would spend hours in each others pool, feeding their lamb, feeding our chooks or patting my horse (Pee Wee) and Tony’s calf (Daisy) and digging holes in the back paddock to China. All the neighbourhood kids would spend the day riding our bikes toward Gowrie Junction and Oakey. We would take our lunch for a picnic on the way and always be home in time for tea (even though we didn’t have a watch). We would play in the deserted house on the hill (until we nearly burnt it down with candles), we formed clubs, we would walk down to the Gowrie creek, or go bush walking up the hill behind Leahy’s farm (and take care not to get zapped by their electric fence). We went for trips to the tip in the back of Dad’s Ute to see what treasures we could find, and spent wonderful afternoons using Cath’s circular driveway as a racing track for our bikes after school. Photos taken by Dawn approx 1983



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

such nice pics, I saw maddona Blinco the other day, she is having her 2nd baby and said to say hi, she knew who I was, but I could not place her.
She said to say hi and wished you all the best, and good luck, starting getting me teary again.
You are in my thoughts every day, and you are so strong, and brave.
You are such a amazing person and l love you so much.
you deserve a medal.
I am of to the hospital in the morning, for my scan, hope all is well I have put it to the back of my mind and tried not to think about it.
Will know more tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, what a fantastic idea for journaling. I'm definitely going to use this technique on some of my old childhood photos. So many memories from one small photo!